Gmail is an incredibly useful tool for many people, making it easy to maintain inbox order and sending out emails quickly. However, one of the most frustrating issues with the program is its tendency to save multiple drafts without the user's permission. In some cases, this can create a huge backlog of saved messages taking up valuable inbox space. Luckily, there are several ways to stop Gmail from automatically saving multiple drafts.
Making Use of Settings
The most convenient way to stop receving automatic drafts in your Gmail account is by making use of the available settings. Depending on the device you are using, the way to access the settings may vary.
For Phone or Tablet
- In the Gmail app, tap on the hamburger menu icon.
- Scroll down and select the Settings option.
- Select the desired email address to access its settings.
- Tap Drafts and disable the Save draft every and Autosave draft options.
- Open your Gmail account in your browser.
- Click on the Settings cogwheel icon in the top right corner.
- Select Settings from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down to the General tab, then find the Drafts option.
- Uncheck the two options, Save draft every and Autosave draft.
Clearing Your Existing Drafts
If you already have a backlog of saved drafts, you can manually delete them to free up some inbox space.
For Phone or Tablet
- After disabling the auto save options, open the Gmail app.
- Tap the hamburger icon in the top left and select Drafts.
- Select all the drafts you'd like to delete.
- Tap the Bin icon to delete them.
- Open Gmail in your browser.
- Click on the Drafts folder and select all the drafts you would like to delete.
- Click on the Bin icon in the top menu to delete them.
What is the difference between Save draft every and Autosave draft?
Save draft every lets you manually set a defined time to save your drafts, while Autosave draft automatically saves any newly created or edited drafts without any user prompt.
How do I enable auto save drafts?
You can enable auto save drafts by following the steps listed in the "Making Use of Settings" section of this guide.
Is there a way to prevent Gmail from saving a draft after composing an email?
Yes, you can disable auto save drafts by following the steps in the "Making Use of Settings" section of this guide.
How often does Gmail save drafts by default?
By default, Gmail saves drafts every three minutes.
Can I delete multiple drafts from my Gmail account?
Yes, you can delete multiple drafts from your Gmail account at once by following the steps in the "Clearing Your Existing Drafts" section of this guide.