Learn how to troubleshoot and fix the "Plugin with ID com.android.application not found" error in your Android Studio project. This guide provides step-by-step instructions to help you identify the root cause and resolve this common error in your Android Studio project.
Table of Contents
- Step-by-Step Guide to Resolve the Error
- Step 1: Verify the Gradle Version
- Step 2: Check Your build.gradle Files
- Step 3: Sync Your Project with Gradle Files
- Step 4: Clean and Rebuild Your Project
The "Plugin with ID com.android.application not found" error occurs when Android Studio cannot load the correct Gradle plugin for your project. This error can be caused by several factors such as an incorrect Gradle version, missing or incorrect Gradle plugin, or issues with your project's
Step-by-Step Guide to Resolve the Error
Follow these steps to troubleshoot and fix the "Plugin with ID com.android.application not found" error:
Step 1: Verify the Gradle Version
- Open your project in Android Studio.
- Go to
- Check the Gradle version and Android Gradle plugin version. Make sure they are compatible. You can find the compatible versions in the official Android Gradle plugin documentation.
If the versions are not compatible, update them accordingly and proceed to Step 3.
Step 2: Check Your build.gradle Files
In the Android Studio Project view, locate and open the
build.gradle file for your project (usually located at the root level of your project).
Make sure this line is present and correct in your
YOUR_ANDROID_GRADLE_PLUGIN_VERSION with the compatible version from Step 1.
Locate and open the
build.gradle file for your app module (usually located in the
Make sure this line is present and correct in your app module's
apply plugin: 'com.android.application'
Step 3: Sync Your Project with Gradle Files
- In Android Studio, click on the
Sync Project with Gradle Filesbutton located in the toolbar.
- Wait for the synchronization process to finish. If any errors occur during the sync process, follow the on-screen instructions to fix them.
Step 4: Clean and Rebuild Your Project
- Go to
Clean Projectin the Android Studio menu.
- Wait for the cleaning process to finish.
- Go to
Rebuild Projectin the Android Studio menu.
- Wait for the rebuilding process to finish.
If the error persists after following these steps, consider seeking help from the Android Studio official documentation or Android Studio community forums.
1. What is the Android Gradle plugin?
The Android Gradle plugin is a build system for Android applications that works with the Gradle build tool. It provides an easy and flexible way to build, test, and package your Android applications. You can learn more about the Android Gradle plugin in the official documentation.
2. How do I update the Gradle version in my Android Studio project?
You can update the Gradle version in your Android Studio project by going to
Project Structure >
Project, and then updating the Gradle version and Android Gradle plugin version according to the official compatibility table.
3. What is the difference between the project-level build.gradle and the app module's build.gradle files?
build.gradle file contains configurations and dependencies that apply to the entire project, while the app module's
build.gradle file contains configurations and dependencies specific to that module. In a multi-module project, each module has its own
4. How do I know which version of the Android Gradle plugin is compatible with my Gradle version?
You can find the compatible versions in the official Android Gradle plugin documentation. It provides a table that lists the compatible Gradle and Android Gradle plugin versions.
5. What are some other common reasons for the "Plugin with ID com.android.application not found" error?
Other common reasons for this error include:
- Network issues preventing the download of the required Gradle plugin.
- Corrupted Gradle cache.
- Issues with the Android Studio installation.
You can try the following solutions to fix these issues:
- Check your internet connection and retry the Gradle sync.
- Delete the Gradle cache folder located at
USER_HOME/.gradle/cachesand retry the Gradle sync.
- Reinstall Android Studio or update it to the latest version.